Monday, May 13, 2013

Guest Author ~ Shona Husk


Today, guest author Shona Rusk is with us. Her new book, Ruby’s Ghost by Samhain Publishing, releases tomorrow, May 14. It is a Paranormal Romance, the kind I love! 
Shona, tell us a little about Ruby’s Ghost.
Ruby’s Ghost came out of a conversation I had about my little niece who was convinced the ghost of a motorcyclist was visiting her bedroom. Being a romance writer I thought he’d make an interesting hero…especially if he weren’t totally dead just dislocated from his body. It’s a story about choices, right from the start when Tate is looking at his life and girlfriend and realizing he’s moved on while she hasn’t. Of course he doesn’t realize then just how hard Ruby will try to keep him.
I have a few questions that Shona has graciously agreed to answer.
1.     How long did it take you to write Ruby’s Ghost?
I’d actually written it a while ago and had left it sitting because I didn’t have time to go back and clean it up. When I went to the US last year I decided that since I wasn’t going to be doing any actual writing while on holiday I’d take it with me to revise and polish, so when I was on long car trips or on planes I was working on Ruby’s Ghost. Time wise it feels like it took me a very long time to pull it together but I think that’s just because it was so spread out.
2.     Why did you decide to write paranormal romance?
I actually grew up reading fantasy and discovered paranormal romance in my mid-twenties. Paranormal romance seems the perfect blend between fantasy and reality with a HEA as an added bonus. Do you know how many romances fail in traditional fantasy novels? In discovering paranormal romance I was able to have all the fun of new worlds plus romance. Writing it and making up my own worlds is even more fun J
3.     Do you write multiple drafts or barely need revisions when typing, The End?
Multiple drafts. I plot, then I write out what I call a scene guide, so 1 paragraph per scene. At this stage I’m busy moving bits around, and making sure the story works. Then I start writing. It gets read by my crit partners, I edit. I edit once more and then I hit send.
4.     What advice do you have for other writers?
Read lots, and read widely.
5.     What was the most exciting thing that happened to you after you signed your contract – besides receiving your first check as a published author?
Being at events like RT and ARRC in Australia and having people say how much they love my books. On the inside I’m always ‘OMG they’ve read my book!’
6.     What was the defining moment that you considered yourself an author?
I was made redundant during the GFC and in the time I was unemployed I started really working on my writing and treating like a job, I then started selling. I think that first sale cemented in my mind that I could do this.
7.     With so many changes in publishing over the past year, where do you see the future of publishing going?
I don’t know where it’s going, but as long as readers keep wanting books to read then there will still be a publishing industry.
8.     What makes a man attractive to you?
Nice smile and eyes, honesty, good attitude.
Ruby's Ghost -- Breaking up is hard to survive.
One moment, Tate Cooper is giving his ex-girlfriend a lift home on his motorcycle. The next, his soul is suspended between life and death, wandering in confusion between the accident scene and the house he grew up in.
Except it’s not his home anymore. In his old bedroom sleeps a beautiful young woman, the only person who can see him. And the only person who can keep him from succumbing to the temptation to escape the horrific pain awaiting him in his mortal body.
Eloise Jones should be studying for her college exams, but it’s tough to stay focused when a lost soul keeps appearing in her room. She figures it must have something to do with sirens she heard screaming in the night, but she’s helpless to assist—and helpless to resist.
As Eloise tries to help Tate unravel the tangled facts surrounding the accident, longing and desire grow into an almost tangible bond between them. But then a second spirit appears, one with a darker intent that could separate them before love draws its first breath…
Warning: Contains a vengeful ex and a romance that crosses the boundary between life and death.
Shona’s Bio:

Three time ARRA finalist Shona Husk lives in Western Australia at the edge of the Indian Ocean. Blessed with a lively imagination she spent most of her childhood making up stories. As an adult she discovered romance novels and hasn’t looked back. Drawing on history and myth, she weaves new worlds and writes heroes who aren’t afraid to get hurt while falling in love.
With stories ranging from sensual to scorching, she is published with Carina Press, Ellora’s Cave, Samhain Publishing and Sourcebooks. You can find out more at www.shonahusk.com 
Shona loves to hear from readers so drop her a line at shona@shonahusk.com

1 comment: