Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wednesday Selfie ~ The True Story Behind Second Chance by the Sea

Paul, Ruth, Alan, Eloise, Anya and Joe at the First Wedding
All during our working years, Paul and I never took a two week vacation. We both worked for major banks (not the same one) and had to take two consecutive weeks’ vacation but we never went away. We had kids and I always kept a reserve of vacation time in case the kids got sick. It was so engrained that we kept to one week vacations even though the kids are grown and on their own.

This year was different. There’s a certain freedom that comes with retirement. No clock to punch, no kids to take care of just Paul and me. So, we spent this February in Oceanside, California, a half hour outside of San Diego.

We chose San Diego because my brother and his wife, both retired, live there. We had the added boon of Paul’s brother and wife an hour away in Long Beach. The location was ideal.

So, what’s the story behind Second Chance by the Sea, my short story that’s In Timeless Escapes? It’s the story of my brother Alan and his wife Eloise.

During this year's long frigid winter my critique partners longed to escape to some place warm, the Virgin Islands. Soft warm trade winds, the sweet smell of tropical flowers, the pungent taste of island cocktails. Ah... if only we could. But wait! There was.

If we couldn't actually escape to the islands we could take a virtually trip and that's exactly what we did. We created Star Island, a fictional island off the coast of St. Thomas. The small island became the setting for our short story romances.

I decided to take my story from real life. My brother and sister-in-law, Alan and Eloise, were married twelve years ago in Atlanta. It was not the first marriage for either of them but this is truly a love match.

Two years ago when Eloise was Vice President of an all-girls college in California,  they were getting their paperwork together for the California benefits program when they found that their Atlanta marriage was never registered! Alan, always the jokester called to ask me to stand up for them at their wedding. What? You have to know Alan to understand that if this was going to happen to anyone it would be him. Of course I said yes.

So two years ago in October, I flew to California for their second wedding. I spent a week with them and had a great time.

When Lita, Emma, Nicole, Julie, and I started to brainstorm our summer read in 2014 I knew Alan and Eloise's story had to be part of it. I used their situation but that was all. Their true story is one of love and devotion and very happily ever after.

Ruth A. Casie ~ Second Chance by the Sea

Married for ten years, a couple at odds find their marriage was never registered. Will an impending disaster be the final straw that breaks them up or will it rekindle their love and send them back to the altar for a second chance?

Buy Links for Timeless Escapes:
Amazon Print: http://amzn.to/1HreZe5

No comments:

Post a Comment