Friday, February 5, 2016

Books, Chocolate and Wine with Barbara Meyers

Barbara Meyers is also on Books, Chocolate and Wine today. I challenged her to give us three reasons why she loves to write. Here is what she said.

 I Can Write The Kind of Books I’d Like To Read
Although, to tell the truth, I’ve gotten away from reading romance novels since I started writing them, they are the books I cut my teeth on before I started writing. But I still enjoy a well-written romance, especially beach reads, which is what I write. I want to escape into another world for a little while. I don’t want to think too hard, I don’t want to be depressed by a book or its characters. There’s enough real life and bad news out there. Romance novels give me a break from that. When I type the end and think “this is so cute” or “this is perfect” I’m happy.


       I Can Control The Outcome
I can’t always control my characters. The most surprising thing about writing is you think you know how the story’s going to go when you start, but sometimes the characters (and your editor) have different ideas. Quinn, the heroine in FANTASY MAN, was a huge to surprise to me. She was much more strong-willed and impulsive than I planned for her to be. Her character grows quite a bit in the course of the story, thanks in great part to my wonderful editor, Noah Chinn. The only thing I’m sure of is that those characters will have a happy ending. Somehow love will indeed conquer all. I’m a sucker for a happy ending. I’m just not always sure how I’ll get to it and that’s what keeps writing interesting and fun.

     Working with a Really Good Editor
A good editor will make a decent book the best it can be. My road to publication was a bumpy ride, but fortunately I landed at Samhain and into Noah Chinn’s author pool. Not to say I didn’t have good editors before him, but I felt like Noah “got me” as a writer. He can find what doesn’t work quite right and suggest possible fixes without overpowering the author’s voice. He makes suggestions but isn’t offended if I don’t use them (though I often do). I’ve written about this elsewhere, but he turned down FANTASY MAN to begin with and told me why. I rewrote it based on his input even though he didn’t ask me to. It needed so much editorial work even after my rewrite I felt sorry for him. But he diligently, patiently worked with me on it and I am pleased as punch at the final product, which, believe it or not, is very much the story I started with.  There are so many poorly edited (or often unedited) books out there, that to find an editor like Noah has been a blessing.


One lie of omission could turn her wildest dream into a world of hurt. 

Blurb for Fantasy Man

Quinn Fontana never thought witnessing two murders would lead to her first taste of freedom. But when her overprotective brother puts her on a plane for L.A. to hide until it’s time to testify, she can’t stop the shiver of anticipation.
If her life is going to be cut short, she plans to live it to the fullest. And that includes seducing her intended protector—her brother’s best friend and star of her private fantasies.

When security consultant Reif Callaghan awakens after a rowdy night out with his coworkers to find a warm, willing woman in his bed, he’s almost past the point of no return when he realizes it’s Quinn. And he’s come way too close to debauching his best friend’s little sister.
Her enticing offer—one night, no holding back, no regrets—is a temptation he can’t resist. Until he realizes she’s been hiding a piece of vital information that could cost not only their one chance to turn fantasy into reality, but their lives.
Warning: Contains fantasy-come-true sex, get-it-out-of-their-system sex, angry-as-hell sex, and on-the-run sex. Also, accidental ferret-napping. Asthmatics are advised to load up on antihistamines before reading.

Reviews for Fantasy Man

"It’s sweet and sexy, and will even convince you that ferrets are adorable… overall was a pretty fun read." –Romance Novels For The Beach 
To read the review in its entirety:
https://romance4thebeach.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/fantasy-man-by-barbara-meyers/

Fantasy Man by Barbara Meyers is a very sexy, suspenseful and enjoyable read involving an overprotected young lady, the mob, some cute ferrets, and a fun fling with “my brother’s best friend” that threatens to turn into something entirely different. And Reif (love the name!) is my ideal male protagonist – a guy who doesn’t tuck neatly into any particular “Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Omega” niche. Fantasy Man is a steamy, fun-filled read, particularly if you enjoy best friend/little sister romances (and ferrets!) - 4 Star review by author Donna Cooper.

Before Reif could follow his parents out of the room Quinn grabbed his sleeve. “You didn’t tell me I had to testify in three days.”
“That was the message Tony left. For me. See Quinn, the difference between you and Tony is that he doesn’t try to tie my hands so I can’t protect you. From here on out you’re on a need-to-know basis. We’ll see how you like it.”
She let go of his sleeve. “I thought we were on the same team.”
“We are. But you always seem to forget who the captain is supposed to be.”
He yanked the phone out of his pocket, tapped the message icon and stared at the screen.
“What’s it say?”
“Need. To. Know. Got it?” He shoved the phone back into his pocket.
He left her no choice but to follow him to the kitchen. His twin sisters, Erin and Ella had set out some fruit, cheese and crackers. “Would you like something to drink, Quinn?”
“Maybe some water.” Quinn took a seat at the table. She hadn’t eaten in hours, but she wasn’t hungry. Erin or Ella set a glass of ice water in front of her. They were identical twins, although their hairstyles and clothes were different. Quinn couldn’t remember which was which and was too embarrassed to ask.
“Thank you.”
“That’s a beautiful ring,” one of them commented. “You’re engaged?”
Quinn looked to Reif who was helping himself to ice from the freezer door. She saw him stiffen. She glanced at her ring before she answered.
“I’m…we’re… It’s complicated. I’m not sure what’s going to happen.”
The other twin said, “Well, whatever happens, I hope you get to keep the ring.”
“If you need to make a pit stop, do it now,” Reif said to Quinn and pointed down a small hallway off the kitchen. “Bathroom’s right there.”
“Always the charmer,” the first sister said wistfully.
Quinn decided to take him up on that, if only to get away from Reif, his cavalier attitude, and the sisters who were obviously trying to put two and two together.
When she returned to the kitchen Erin and Ella had helped Reif pack a cooler with food and drinks. Reif excused himself to the bathroom.
He’d barely closed the door before both his sisters pounced. “What’s going on with you and Reif? Spill it.”
“Did he give you the ring?”
“Oh my God. Did he propose?”
“You’re not pregnant.”
“Our sister Emma is.”
“Are you?”
“Emma’s baby-daddy dumped her.”
“Was it romantic?”
“Even though she says he didn’t.”
“Have you set the date?”
Quinn looked from one sister to the other while they tag-teamed her. Quinn glanced at the ring, wishing she’d thought to hide it before anyone had noticed it.
“We, uh, well, I… That is…”
“You are engaged to Reif, aren’t you?”
Reif saved her when he returned to the kitchen. “We. Are not. Engaged.”

Buy Links:
ITunes:
Goodreads Link:

About Barbara Meyers:
Barista by day, romance novelist by night:  When not writing fiction, Dr. Seuss-like poetry (for adults) or song lyrics, Barbara Meyers disguises herself behind a green apron and works part-time for a world-wide coffee company.
Her novels are a mix of comedy, suspense and spice and often feature a displaced child.
Barbara is still married to her first husband, has two fantastic children and one almost perfect dog.  Originally from Southwest Missouri, (she blames her roots in the Show Me state for her somewhat skeptical nature) she currently resides in Central Florida.

Social Media Links:
Samhain Author Page:  
Twitter: @barbmeyers and @ajtillock  
Twitter URL:  https://twitter.com/barbmeyers

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me share a little bit about why I love writing, Ruth. Beautiful site. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete