Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wednesday Selfie ~ P-e-w!!

View post on imgur.com
Last night, Paul and I relaxed after a busy day. He's donating time to a friend's tech start up. After being away (we were in California for a month), he caught up with his colleagues.

My day was packed, a meeting with a community service organization, working on my WIP, checking out a new review from N.N. Light on The Guardian's Witch, and even an hour of cardio at the gym.

My work-in-progress (WIP) has been sitting in front of me for months. It's not my usual medieval romance with knights and magic. This is a different story, a time traveling art appraiser. I have 88,000 words of my WIP in place for a year but haven't finished it.

Instead I worked on two stories with my critique partners, the Timeless Scribes. We released a Christmas short story, Timeless Moments, last October.

We enjoy writing short stories but decided it was time to expand our writing into novellas. Each of us recently completed a story for our summer boxed set, Welcome to Havenport, which should be out in May.

But I digress. My WIP is a new story line for me--an adventure with romantic elements. It's taken a lot of soul searching to move away from a traditional romance, but this adventure excites me. Yesterday, I opened the file and got to work reading and getting acquainted with the characters. I realized I loved them and got fired up to polish this for RWA Nationals.

While I made dinner last night, Paul and I talked about our days. I've skinnied down  dinner with healthy choices, broiled fish, roasted asparagus and a salad. I didn't want to waste all that energy I burned at the gym with mashed potatoes. Well, yes I did but knew I didn't want to face those results. After all, summer is coming.

After dinner, Paul and I watched television. The day had been productive for each of us but exhausting. As usual I nodded off. That's when Pepe le Pew decided to visit. In Teaneck, where we live, there are lots of critters, beavers, opossums, raccoon, deer, and skunks.

Last night I sat bolt upright on the sofa as Pepe's fragrant perfume SATURATED the air. Paul checked to make sure all the doors and windows were closed--they were. We sprayed with freshner. Hours later the aroma still lingered, but it was tolerable.

I just got back from the gym, and while outside it smells sweet and a bit like winter (it's cold in NJ today), I've been going through all the rooms with air freshner. Pepe lingers on!

Any suggestions on how to 'clear the air'?

8 comments:

  1. Best to you on the new WIP. It sounds exciting! And for Pepe, I wish I knew the answer. Open those windows and wear a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I didn't realize the odor lingered until I walked back into the house this morning. It's mild but definitely there. I'm thinking of making some for dinner with sauteed onions! Swap one aroma for another. At least I like onions!

      Delete
  2. Yikes, Ruth! Our dog had a run-in with a skunk once and it felt like the smell lingered in the house forever. Windows open and be glad nothing in your house was actually sprayed.
    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ruth, what a situation. I have no idea what to do about the odor, but I hope it clears up soon! Good luck on the newest venture with the WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. It's finally getting better. I was able to open the windows.

      Delete