...Make New Year's Resolutions
Happy New Year! The champagne is finished as well as the party food. I watched the ball drop at Times Square, via television, and welcomed in the new year with those I love. I’ve thought about the past year, what I accomplished and what has been left undone and even ignored. It’s time to look ahead and for me, plan what I want to accomplish for myself and my writing. It’s time for New Year’s resolutions.
Who started this ritual? At the start of each year, the ancient Babylonians promised their gods they would return borrowed items and pay their debts. Romans made promises to the god Janus, yes that Janus, for whom January is named. Janus is the god of beginnings and traditions. Knight in the medieval era took the “peacock vow” at the end of the Christmas season to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry. Christian prepared for the new year at the watchnight services by praying and making resolutions.
Other religious groups have parallels to this tradition: Jewish people reflect upon their wrongdoings during their High Holiday season and resolve to be better. The concept, regardless of your background, is to examine ways to improve yourself.
The ten most popular resolutions include:
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Get fit
- Lose weight
- Get organized
- Help other people
- Quit smoking
- Enjoy life more
- Quit drinking
- Get out of debt
- Learn something new
These are wonderful resolutions and the top five are definitely on my list but I also have my writing resolutions.
- I will write everyday
- I will write everyday even when I don’t feel like it
- I will write from the heart and dig deep so my readers will feel it
- I will read widely
- I will focus on writing rather than social media
- I will experiment with my writing style and voice
- I will create and stick to a timetable
- I will write two novels and two short stories this year
- I will learn how to market my work
- I will give something back to other writers – they have supported me in all I do and I will pay it forward
I resolve to post a blog once every two weeks
What are your New Year’s Resolutions?